Work Permits

A Work Permit is required to work on a self-employed basis in St. Helena for a period in excess of six months. It does not allow entry to St. Helena. A Long Term Entry Permit is required for entry to St. Helena.

A Work Permit must be submitted to the Immigration Control Board who on receipt of an application must have regards to:

  • The condition of the local labour market generally and the extent of any specialist skills or experience which the prospective employer seeks to recruit
  • Any special skills or experience of the applicant relevant to the work to be undertaken
  • Passes a Points Based System.
  • Is satisfied that it will not be in the public interest to do so
  • A fee is chargeable
  • Already holds or at the same time is applying for a Long Term Entry Permit

An extension of up to five years may be granted if the above conditions are met and the application is made three months before the expiry of the current Work Permit.

A work permit may cease to be valid if the worker is absent from St Helena for a continuous period of more than six months, or if they cease to be the holder of a valid Entry Permit or an Exemption from Entry Permit.

For further information please contact