The Agriculture and Natural Resources Division (ANRD) is a Division within the Environment and Natural Resources and Planning Directorate (ENRP). The Division’s role contributes to the quality of life on St Helena through implementation of agricultural, forestry, fisheries and natural resources programmes and the provision of services to producers and the general public.
The Division employs around 39 full time staff, including a fisheries officer, agriculture support officers, veterinary officers, biosecurity and pest control officers, forestry managers, forestry field staff and administrators.
What We Do
Our Mission is:
‘To encourage growth and development in the agriculture, fisheries and natural resources sectors through enhancing food security from local sources, and promoting sustainable use of natural resources’
Our mission will be achieved through supporting a sector that contributes to:
- Economic growth (and development)
- Sustainable use of natural resources and enhancing our natural capital
- Food security
- Fisheries management
- Improved biosecurity
Role and Functions
To achieve our mission, the Division will actively collaborate in policy and programmess with other SHG Divisions, Enterprise St Helena and the Island’s Private Sector. We:
- Direct and implement a forestry programme for the Crown forest estate
- Work with sector stakeholders to develop and deliver support policies and programs that help our agriculture, fisheries and forestry industries, including adopting new technology, innovation and practices such as integrated pest management
- Direct and implement a National Agriculture Policy to improve performance for the agriculture sector
- Manage a fisheries licencing policy to manage fishery access for commercial and sport fishing ventures
- Support initiatives to help producers and SHG to protect and develop the natural resource base that our production industries rely on
- Provide farmer driven research and advice on economic issues affecting our agriculture sector
- Provide scientific and policy advice
- Represent St Helena Government at international meetings relating to biosecurity and fisheries
- Protect our agriculture, fisheries and forestry industries through establishment and implementation of robust biosecurity services across the biosecurity continuum by providing quarantine and inspection services that maintains our favourable pest and disease status.
The following are key documents related to the Division’s agriculture programme.