The role of the Education, Skills & Employment Portfolio is to ensure that education services are provided to meet the needs of the people of St Helena and to support the economic and human capital development of the Island.
As part of core education provision, four schools provide fulltime compulsory schooling for children from 5 to 16 years of age under the Education Ordinance (2008).
In addition primary schools also offer non-compulsory Nursery education for children from age three and Prince Andrew School offers sixth form education. Schools are supported by the Teacher Training and Inclusion Sectors. In addition, opportunity for tertiary education is provided through the Scholarship Awards Programme.
The Lifelong Learning Sector is primarily responsible for the development of the adult community through the St Helena Community College which gives opportunity to adults to undertake further education, training and skill development and Career Access St Helena which engages with adults in relation to employment matters.
Under the Lifelong Learning Sector also sits the St Helena Public Library Service and the St. Helena Research Institute which is responsible for the promotion and management of all research on St Helena.
Education, Skills and Employment Portfolio key services
- Provision of primary sector education for pupils from the age of 4 to 11 years at Harford, Pilling and St Paul’s Primary schools
- Provision of secondary education for students 11 – 18 years of age at Prince Andrew School
- Support for inclusion of learners with special and additional needs to ensure educational opportunity for all
- Initial teacher training and upskilling programmes for serving teachers
- Support for community learning and literacy through the St Helena Public Library
- Operation of the St Helena Community College, which offers a broad array of learning opportunities through a variety of programmes to support learners aged 16+
To find out more about the Education, Skills and Employment Portfolio, you can view our Strategic Plan.