1 August 2019
Harley Williams from Gordon’s Post has recently graduated having achieved a Second Upper Class Honours Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Science, following three years of study at Bath Spa University in the UK.
Harley’s Environmental Science course comprised 14 different modules ranging from Biological Science, Biodiversity and Conservation, Global Development, and Environment People and Place in year one, to Environmental Science, Research Methodologies, Environmental Hazards, Climate Change and Sustainability, and Science Publishing in year two, to Managing Sustainability, Plants and People, Environmental Practice, Wildlife Photography, and a Biology Dissertation in his final year.
“The final term of my undergraduate studies has been a surreal one. Working on the final assignments, knowing they are my last pieces of academic work as an undergraduate student has been both exciting and daunting. Regardless, I am happy to say that I am ending this important chapter on a high note.”
Harley has an aspiration to pursue a career as an Environmental Consultant. Studying Environmental Science at undergraduate level has provided him with knowledge and experience in a range of subjects. However, the key learning points, in regards to his career aspirations include:
- Active experience in environmental practice, by undertaking land management planning and reporting
- Active participation in freshwater surveying as part of various research reports
- Undertaking assessments on business sustainability, especially targeted towards the agricultural industry as well as projects on a global sustainable future
- Active experience in public speaking and presentations to students, lecturers, environmental practitioners, and council members
- Competent in writing scientific articles and environmental impact assessment reports
- Active experience in the use of key industry software such as the R Statistics package, Excel and QGIS
- Achieving competency in a range of statistical analysis techniques, both inferential and descriptive
- Experience in writing an independent dissertation project – a scientific investigation designed, carried out, and critically evaluated by Harley alone
“Being at University for the past three years have been the best years of my life. My experiences have helped me grow as a person and equipped me with essential skills for my future. For any fellow Saints considering further education, go for it! I can’t begin to tell you how rewarding the experience is.”
Following his undergraduate studies, Harley will now further his academic career and work towards a Master’s Degree through Postgraduate Study having met the criteria and been accepted to undertake the MSc Environmental Science course at Bath Spa University.
#StHelena #Student #BathSpaUniversity #SecondUpperClassHonours #EnvironmentalScience
1 August 2019