19 September 2018
The Social & Community Development Committee (SCDC) held their monthly meeting on Wednesday, 12 September 2018.
The Saint Helena National Trust (Amendment) Bill was approved following agreement that the proposed amendment to section 12 relating to the Trust Council be placed into Regulations. A recommendation will be forwarded to Executive Council that the Bill be published and debated at the next sitting of the Legislative Council.
The proposal for a single Information Bill instead of separate Freedom of Information and Data Protection legislation had recently been discussed with the Chamber of Commerce. Preference was expressed for a separate Freedom of Information Bill and that full Data Protection legislation should be introduced as soon as possible. Further discussions with larger organisations and representatives from SHG will go ahead before deciding next steps.
An application for additional funding from the Equality & Human Rights Commission was discussed and further details were requested.
The Environment & Natural Resources Directorate (ENRD) provided assurances that the Princess Royal Community Care Centre (CCC) would be afforded normal maintenance this financial year including the refurbishment of six to nine more rooms.
Data for reviewing the Minimum Income Standard is being collated.
The review of the Immigration Ordinance is 50% complete and recommendations are expected to be with Committee in October.
The Working Group examining the Social Security Ordinance reported continued good progress.
The following points were included in the report from the Director of Safeguarding:
- A recruitment campaign is underway culminating in an open-door event at the CCC on Thursday, 13 September 2018. Procurement of overseas staff is also in process
- A training programme has been developed with the National Autistic Society (NAS) to meet the complex needs of children and young people
- Residents from Barn View have been transferred back to the CCC for more efficient use of resources
- A substantial order for equipment for the CCC has been placed, including fridges, hoists, wheelchairs and other necessary equipment
- Principal Social Worker for Adult’s Services, Rosalie Brown, arrived on-Island on Saturday, 15 September 2018
- Adult services continue to make progress in ensuring residents in all units have assessments and care plans in place
The SCDC comprises of voting members Councillors Anthony Green (Chairman), Cyril Leo (Deputy Chairman), Kylie Hercules, Derek Thomas and Gavin Ellick. Non-voting members are the Director of Safeguarding and the Government Economist. The Committee Secretary is Nicole Plato.
#StHelena #SCDC #MeetingSummary
19 September 2018