Councillors Lawson Henry and Derek Thomas depart the Island today, Wednesday 12 October 2016, to attend the UK Overseas Territories Joint Ministerial Council meeting (JMC), to be held in London from 31 October to 3 November 2016.
The JMC will include three thematic sessions – Health, Pensions and the Environment. Plenary sessions, chaired by Baroness Anelay DBE, Minister of State for the Overseas Territories, will cover:
- Economic Development (including Infrastructure)
- Good Governance (including Child Safeguarding and Human Rights)
- Implications for Overseas Territories (OTs) of EU exit
- UK & OT engagement on EU negotiations, and
- International Trade relationships
Councillors Henry and Thomas will also attend meetings with the Foreign Affairs Select Committee and the Environmental Audit Committee. As Head of Delegation, Councillor Henry will also attend a Ministerial dinner at Lancaster House, hosted by Baroness Anelay.
The JMC will conclude with the signing of a Communiqué to reflect discussions and commitments made at the meetings.
Councillors Henry and Thomas will return to St Helena on Tuesday, 15 November 2016.
12 October 2016