Kongkona Sarma, a Senior Consultant in DAI’s Technical Services Private Sector Development team, arrived on Island today, 14 September 2016, to carry out an independent review of the business environment on St Helena. The review is funded by DFID on behalf of Enterprise St Helena.
Kongkona’s objectives while here will be to:
· Identify the key reforms that the local and international private sector would look for under a refreshed investment strategy for the Island
· Determine what factors are key to attracting investment and stimulating business development within similar countries or territories and what benefits or incentives are offered by enterprise development agencies in these locations to assist in this process
· Meet with key Island stakeholders, including Elected Members and SHG staff, to gauge their views on implementing reforms in areas identified by the private sector
· Identify gaps and make recommendations on how investment promotion and further business development efforts could be strengthened
· Lead an initial workshop with key stakeholders on Island, including Enterprise St Helena, Elected Members, SHG officials, Chamber of Commerce, key investors and business people, to achieve ownership of the assignment findings, and to agree a timeline and activity plan on investment climate and promotion improvements
Deputy Chief Executive for Economic Development, Susan O’Bey, said:
“Between 2011 and 2012, SHG designed and implemented a number of reforms which were aimed at creating a more business enabling environment. It has been five years since those reforms were implemented, and with the construction of the Airport now complete, this is a good time to review how well the reforms have been received and what further work may need to be done to ensure that the Island remains attractive to both local and offshore investors.
“This work will assist SHG and ESH in developing future policies relating to the business environment in an evidence based manner.”
The final report and implementation plan will be issued once completed.
Kongkona Sarma is an experienced Economic Development Specialist. She has worked both within the public and private financial sector and capital markets to successfully manage many large-scale and complex programmes. Kongkona has over 11 years’ experience working for a wide range of donor programmes including DFID, World Bank, Commonwealth Secretariat and Inter-American Development Bank (IADB.)
14 September 2016