The St Helena Safeguarding Children’s and Young People’s Board is regulated by the Welfare of Children Regulations, 2010 and the Welfare of Children Ordinance.
The purpose of the St Helena Safeguarding Children’s and Young People’s Board is to provide direction and leadership across St Helena Government to ensure that SHG agencies are working together to safeguard children and young people on the Island.
The Board is chaired independently and reports directly to the Governor. Membership includes the Children’s Champion, representatives from Health, Safeguarding, Education, Police and non-government organisations.
The Board meets every six weeks and when urgently needed.
- To ensure agencies are working together
- To facilitate training for all who work with children and young people
- To facilitate more in depth and targeted training for front line services
- To ensure that historic cases are reviewed, action taken when needed and lessons learned
- To ensure that the agencies involved in safeguarding our community are adequately resourced and supported so they can do their jobs effectively
DOCUMENTS & POLICES