Corporate Support, formerly called the Office of the Chief Secretary/ Secretariat is the corporate administrative office of SHG. Overlooking the seafront, it occupies the top floor of the Castle buildings and accommodates both the Governor and Chief Secretary’s offices.
As head of the Public Service and the Governor’s chief policy adviser, the Chief Secretary is responsible for the overall conduct of Government business. The Secretariat supports the Governor’s Office, Executive and Legislative Councils and all of the Directorates of Government. It is, in fact, at the heart of Government activities.
Corporate Support is managed by the Deputy Chief Secretary supported by the Manager of Central Administration, an Assistant Secretary of Administration, Clerk of Councils, Information Officer and Chief Public Relations Officer plus eight other staff members.
While The Strategic, Policy and Planning Directorate takes a leading and co-ordinating role in the strategic planning process, the Secretariat has overall responsibility for Government’s strategic planning, including St Helena Government’s communications and public relations strategies, internal auditing, the St Helena Archives and divestment of non government activities.
Key services provided by the Secretariat include:
General and Administration
- Providing services and support to Executive and Legislative Council
- Supporting private sector development and investment initiatives through the implementation of a divestment strategy
- Supporting Enterprise St Helena in marketing St Helena as an investment and tourism destination
- Providing corporate advice and support to Government directorates on general matters
- Providing advice and support to the general public on policy/general matters
- Co-ordinating/compiling reports in compliance with international conventions
- Co-ordinating bids for FCO funding and monitoring project expenditure
- Arranging appointments to statutory boards and committees
Responsible for the Public Service electronic filing system
- Maintaining the SHG website
- Developing New Media and Records Management Strategies
- Quality Assurance Checks of all SHG websites
- Maintaining Internal Communications
- Preserving and conserving archival records
- Undertaking research for Government Directorates and members of the public on-Island and abroad
- Repairing and binding material for Government Directorates
- Assisting visitors in carrying out their own research
- Communicating economic, social and environmental news to all audiences
- Communicating St Helena Government vision, other matters and information through press releases and reports
- Communicating news to various groups through various newsletters
- Managing the St Helena Government website
- Dealing with enquiries from local and international media
- Providing communications advice to all SHG Directorates.
- Administration of Oaths
- Processing matters related to the Supreme Court, Magistrates Court, Juvenile Court and Court of Appeal
- Clerical support to HM Coroner
- Registration of Charities
- Registration of Companies
- Registration of Patents and Trade marks
Planning and Building Control
- Exercising control over the Land Development Control Plan in accordance with the Land Planning Control Ordinance
- Processing development applications in accordance with the Land Planning and Development Control Ordinance
- Providing a building control service
- Enforcing building regulations
- Providing guidance and advice on land planning matters.