Imported commodities can pose a risk to St Helena in various ways:
- They can harbour pests and weeds and carry diseases which directly affect us, our pets and livestock, crops and species endemic to St Helena and found no where else.
- Species new to the island imported as ornamental plants, exotic pets, biocontrol agents, new crops or forestry species could themselves become a new weed or pest to the island.
- They may not themselves be invasive but could carry weed seeds and disease-causing microbes in encrusted mud and dirt, and harbouring potentially harmful insects, spiders and mites, hidden away in nooks and crannies.
Many imports therefore pose a biosecurity risk, and import health standards have been defined in order to minimise this. Fresh produce for human consumption is among the highest risk due to the quantities imported and frequency of arrival, inspections are carried out in accordance with the Manual Of Inspection Procedures, and MoIP Annex 7.
Below, you can find the import health standards for a range of commodities, together with guidelines for importers. A summary of conditions of import for a range of commodities is given here. If you wish to import a commodity not listed or require further information please contact ANRD for advice on +290 24724.
- Biocontrol Agents Import Health Standards: Guidelines for Importers of Biological Control Agents
- Compost and Peat Import Health Standard: Guidelines for Importers of Composts and Peat
- Fresh Produce Import Health Standard; Guidelines for Importers of Fresh Produce
- Plant Material Import Health Standard Feb 16;Guidelines for Importers of Plant Material
- Rock, Stone and Sand Import Health Standard: Guidelines for Importers of Rock, Stone and Sand
- Sawdust, Wood chips and Shavings Import Health Standard: Guidelines for Importers of Sawdust
- Vehicles, Machinery and Tyres Import Health Standard: Guidelines for Importers of Vehicles, Machinery and Tyres
- Wooden Artefacts and Handicrafts Import Health Standard: Guidelines for Importers of Wooden Artefacts and Handicrafts
- General Guidelines for Importers
- UK and ROI Dog and Cat Import Health Standard July 2013; Guidelines for importers of dogs and cats from the UK
- Pets (dogs and cats) from South Africa
- Dogs and cats from Ascension Import Health Standard
- Guidelines for importers of pet species from South Africa (excluding dogs and cats)
- Guidelines for importers of live ornamental fish
- Specified Bee Products and Bee Equipment Import Health Standard;Guidelines for importers of specified bee products and equipment